Monday, April 21, 2008

A Love Story

So I don't recall the first time I ever had a Harry and David Truffle. I do recall when I fell in love with them. It was last summer. My mom had some at her house and I had a few, and decided that out of all of the vice foods you can have, (is that a valid phrase?) this is one of the best. I was at the time living with my in-laws, and about to go crazy. So one day my sister in law and I were at the outlets and we decided to stop by Harry and David. They had truffles on sale, so I picked up a few bags. The sales lady mentioned that they freeze really well, and I said, freeze them? Are you crazy? Aside from the fact that I was pregnant, and starting my latest phase of stress eating, (which has lasted almost a year now- yikes!) I was a little concerned that if they got put into the freezer where I was living, they would be eaten by someone other than me. It's not that I mind sharing food, it's just that these are well, Harry and David Truffles. I grudgingly shared them with Jesse with a firm warning that if he ate more than one at a time they would be hidden from him. These are not the kind of food that you snack on. This is not like when I grab a handful of Hershey's kisses to eat while watching tv (can anyone guess why I have put on so much weight in the past 5 years?) These are to be savored. Just last night I had one, and then Jesse offered me something else to eat, and I turned him down because I still had the glorious taste of truffle in my mouth and was not ready to end that.
So anyway, we went up to the outlets this past weekend, and stopped by good old H&D, and picked up a few bags of truffles. (One of them did make it into the freezer this time.) And there you have it, my love affair continues. They stay upstairs, because I'll be honest, these days I feel like stress eating all day long. Mint ones are my favorite, and I am always saddened by the fact that they do not sell bags of just mint ones, however, the mixed bag that has mint in it makes all of them taste a little minty. So that is nice.
So your homework assignment is to go and procure yourself a Harry and David Truffle if you have never had one. It always leads to good times.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Let's start a new tradition, I'll buy you truffles for your birthday if you buy me some for my birthday!