Sunday, February 24, 2008

Past projects

So it's project recap time. This first picrture is one of the valentines that I made for Nate's valentine party. We were having a little party for the kids in conjunction with one of their birthday's. The emails were flying around about celebrating V-Day, and putting out valentines for all the kids, and some of the other mom's were complaining a little bit. Well, it has long been the joke in my group that I am a bit of an over achiever. It started when one day when we were still a new group that I mentioned at night Nate only ate on one side, so I pumped the other side while he was eating. Well, they were all amazed at that, but the only reason I had said anything was because I had heard the idea from someone else at the group. So then they found out that I quilt, and they joked that I would quilt while I was nursing, and there soon became a long list of things that I did while nursing. (ps, I tried the quilting while nursing thing, just to see how it would work, and it doesn't.)
So here I am nursing again, and the jokes have started again. So Amy makes a comment that she is sure that I am going to make some quilted valentines while I am nursing. And that got me thinking, wouldn't it be hilarious if I actually showed up with quilted valentines? It wouldn't be so hard to do, just fold some fabric in half, I can quilt on my machine, and I even have a free motion foot, so I could do more than just straight lines. I cut some hearts out with my sizzix die cutter, and voila! Quilted valentines.

This one is a placemat that I made for my mom for her birthday. I got the idea from my friend Jana, who makes cute placemats, and I looked at them and thought, I could do that. Plus, each week when I go to my mom's house she has out these old woven placemats that are coming apart at the corners, so I figure she could use some new ones. When we celebrated her birthday I didn't have them all done. I had just decided to make them earlier that week, so by the time Saturday rolled around I was finishing binding the first one that morning. So she opened it up, and it was ONE placemat, and of course what do you do with only one? But I promised her that more would come.

Also, that morning I had wrapped the gift, and Nate saw it on the table, and he of course wanted to open it because it wants to open all gifts. I went to take the wrapping paper upstairs, and I thought, if I leave that on the table, he will probably open it, but I still left it on the table. Sure enough, as I was feeding Graham a few minutes later, I start to hear a rip rip from the other room. I just taped it back together and gave it to mom anyway. I figured it gave it character.

No comments: