Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Happy Shrove Tuesday

Well, I am not Catholic, but I sure do love it when Shrove Tuesday comes along. Today was a little bittersweet. I love to have donuts on this festive holiday, but today I was reminded of a very sad even that happened a year ago this month.
Jesse and I were planning on going to his parents house that day, and we were leaving town sometime mid-afternoon, and we saw a large plume of dark smoke from down the street. It was such that we knew at once that a large building was on fire, and it looked like it was coming from this little shopping center that had several stores that we had gone to. As we were leaving town we commented that we hoped that it was not that particular shopping center.
That night on the news we saw that it was indeed the shopping center down the street from us. It was the place where we went to Quizno's and most importantly, it was the place that we went to Dunkin' Donuts.
The Dunkin' Donuts had burned down.
It was the saddest day ever.
And so here I was today, faced with the desire to obtain some Dunkin' Donuts, and instead of going 1/4 mile down the road (I can see the empty burned out shell of the shopping center from our new house.) I had to go half-way through town to get some. It wasn't so much the drive that was bad, it was just the sorrow of losing something like a good friend that got to me.
So there you have it, a bittersweet day for us. We are excited for the day that they rebuild the shopping center. It has been almost a year, and it is still just a frame. Oh well, I guess I'll survive until then, and it's probably nice not to have the temptation that close. So that's it, it's not the key to universal happiness but you get what you pay for.

6 comments:

Kate said...

That was some fabulous writing...I laughed, I cried, and I'm in the middle of class so it was highly inappropriate :)

jlk said...

We were watching 24 at the time, and of course were certain that Habib Marwan at something to do with it.

The Dunkin' Donuts across town may become more appealing as you realize that it is designed for lazy people, I mean, people with kids with its wonderful drive through.

Erin said...

Jerk. Want to know a main reason I'm looking forward to coming to visit? The dunkin donuts. With pink frosting.

ps--I'm not calling you a jer per se, just it feels mean of you to rub in that you used to have TWO dunkin donuts to choose from, and I have, let's see...Walmart.

Marisa said...

What an amazing build up...that truly is a sad, sad day when you have to drive across down for a donut. I'm glad that only donuts and not people died, though. So there's a positive thing to take from it...if there is a positive.

Marisa said...

drive across "town"...not down. Too bad this doesn't have a spellcheck or grammar check...

losing my needles said...

Not to put a downer on this, but the arsonist did die in the fire. However, he did set fire to a liquor store, and lock the door, so you have to wonder what he was thinking there.