Thursday, July 24, 2008

I did it!

Well, last night was a running night. Jesse had a thing at work, so he was not able to leave until 6, which meant that we could not go running together since there was no way that Graham was going to be able to stay awake until 7:30. So Jesse sent me running by myself. So I thought that I wanted to see if I could jog an entire mile. There is a loop that my house is on that is .9 mile. So I set out, and I did it! And not only did I jog the entire loop without walking, I went for a second loop. I had no intention of jogging the entire second loop, but when I got to the hill where I thought I was going to walk, I thought, you know, I could run a little bit more, it's not like I'm on my death bed. And then when I got to the top I was about at the end, but then it was down hill, and it's easy to run when you're going down hill, so I kept on running, and then I was practically home, so I just pushed a little further. So I ran about 2 miles last night without stopping or walking. I was so proud of myself. And it only took me like 20 min. I don't know for sure how long it took because I forgot to time myself, but all the same, not too bad considering I don't think I have run 2 continuous miles in the past 8 years. Of course last night it was about 15 degrees cooler than it was on Monday night, and than it will be for the next month. That helped A LOT! So we'll see there could just be a runner in my after all.
Today my biggest complaint is that my back hurts, but I think I'm going to have to deal with that for a while longer. I have a lot of extra weight that I am carting around and that strains a back. I'll have to sit in the massage chair every day for a bit.
Also, for those of you runners, or ex-runners or wanna be runners, or people who just like to read a motivational sports story, the thing that gave me the desire to push through and run the whole way was reading the book, Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes. It's a pretty good book, and you should check it out. It really makes you think about the limits of your body and perhaps that you are being a little bit wimpy.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Good job! Feels exhilarating, doesn't it? (Not that I'm a runner...)

Erin said...

Good job! Maybe I'll run a couple miles today.

Janice said...

Wow, Laur
Congratulations!