Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's raining spiders

Ok, so last night I was at my friend Adrian's house. She is one of my playgroup friends. It is fortunate that the kids like each other and like to play together, but what is really great is that we moms like each other a lot and get together at every opportunity. So we started a quilting night. Some of them wanted to learn how, and I knew, so I taught them and now we get together once a week to "work on projects." We do actually get stuff done occasionally, but mostly it's an excuse to get together without the kids and we talk and eat and sometimes sew.

So as a complete side note: Nate was just playing with a toy, and he was getting mad at it because it wasn't working like he wanted it to. So I told him that he had to be patient with it, and he looks at me and said "patient" and thought about it for a second, and then tossed the toy to the side. I guess that's what he thinks about being patient with his toys.

So anyway. Last night we were at Adrian's house as we usually are for quilting, and it was the part of the night where we were sitting on the couches eating and talking. Adrian is in a chair to one side of me, and Jana and Colleen are on the love seat to the other side. I am being a piggy and sitting right smack dab in the middle of the couch, all by myself. I actually did have some fabric out sitting next to me that we were going to talk about, but so far, we hadn't. So there I sit, and all of the sudden I see this black thing land on my collar bone. My first thought was that Jana or Colleen had thrown a raisin at me. That thought was followed immediately by wondering where they got a raisin. So I look down to brush it off, and it was not a raisin. It was much larger than a raisin first of all, and second, it had legs. As it turns out, it was a large spider. Now, Adrian had seen the whole thing happen. She knew right away that a spider had dropped out of the vent that I was sitting under and had fallen on me, and she jumped up. Colleen and Jana had no clue. So they thought it was kind of random when I started screaming and trying to get this spider off of me. I may have over reacted, but then again, this was a big ugly spider, so maybe I was a little justified. So I get the spider off of my shirt, and it landed on the stack of fabric next to me. So Jana and Colleen come over to see what it was, and were going to make fun of me until they saw the spider, and then they said that yes, they would have freaked as well. So we had to get Adrain's husband to come down and take care of the spider, and then he closed the vent and he was even able to spare the fabric. (We didn't want spider guts all over our fabric.) Of course, the whole night everyone made fun of me for freaking out. (Except for Adrain, now there is a true friend- of course I think she was more embarrassed about the having spiders that size in her vent.)
So I came home and for the first time in the 7 months that I have lived here I closed the vent that is in the ceiling above my head when I sleep. It will stay closed for the remainder of our time here. I also am constantly looking up today to make sure that I am not sitting under any other vents. Anytime that I cannot avoid being under a vent, like in a small bathroom, I am convinced that at any second a spider will land on me. Never mind that it has never happened before, I'm pretty sure that now that it has happened, it will happen several times a day. I guess I had better just get used to it.
Anyway, so the moral of today's story is to not hog the whole couch when there are other people around, or a spider may drop down and attack you. So there you have it, not rocket science, but you get what you pay for.

No comments: