Friday, October 26, 2007

With Liberty and Justice for all

So one of my biggest pet peeves is jerky drivers. I'm not talking about bad drivers, I'm talking about the guy who goes around everyone who is merging politely to get to the front of the line. I'm talking about people who drive in the exit only lane and then cut back into the stopped traffic at the last minute. You know, those kind of drivers. The ones who are so much more important than anyone else that they need a line cutting pass. I always like it when it turns out that their jerky driving hasn't saved them any time. Like, we get off at the same exit and they are stuck at the light just like I am. I feel that that is a little bit of karma getting to them.
Now, if I were queen of the world, there would be a way for those jerks to get in trouble for that. Like, people who had clean records would have the ability to electronically peg them as a jerk, and so many pegs and they would get a ticket. But then if I were queen of the world I would also want to be able to communicate with other drivers. You know, politely of course. Just because sometimes I have made driving errors, and I really wish that I could easily apologize when I accidentally cut someone off or something. I also wish I could give a loving reminder that the speed limit is 40, not 25. Things like that. Of course, I realize that this would do more harm than good, so I probably would not let just anyone do this. Maybe just me.
So onto the point of the story. I was driving today, and it was raining, and 70 was all backed up. I needed to get to Costco to get gas, because my gas light was going on and off. I didn't feel like getting gas before play group. So there we all are, creeping along, and all of the sudden this car decides that she is way too important to wait in traffic, so she passes everyone on the right shoulder. I'm sitting there in the right lane, thinking, what a jerk. I however know that there is a cop car sitting like, 3 cars ahead of me in the left lane. So I'm thinking, what is this cop going to do? I watch the cop, and it kind of looked like he was debating what to do as well, and pretty soon he puts on his lights, and merges into our lane, and over to the shoulder. It was probably the best traffic thing I have ever seen. Pretty soon I drive by the cop who has pulled over this car, and the lady who was driving had her head back against the seat looking up with this utter look of defeat on her face. It was just the icing on the cake. So yeah, it just reminded me that there is justice in this world. Now, probably she had some good reason for doing this, like her father was dying and since she was pulled over she missed saying goodbye or something, and that would make me feel really bad for being glad that she was pulled over. But maybe, just maybe she is just a jerk, and this is the universe punishing her a little bit. So there you have it, It's not rocket science, but you get what you pay for.

No comments: