Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Progress

So I've made a little progress towards my UFO goals of 2012. But first, a non UFO, but it's OK, because it's not like it's a quilt or anything. But I made a wreath that I'll hang either in Olivia's room in the new house, or on her door. I made it now because I'm doing a baby shower on Saturday, and I wanted to have it to use as decoration. Some of the fabrics that I used for the flowers were from Olivia's quilt. I'm crafty like that. And then there is this:

I think that Jana and I got these kits and pattern about 3 1/2 years ago. We started immediately. There are 12 blocks, and they are kind of month themes, so we were going to do one block each month. There is a lot of applique and blanket stitching, etc. It was quite an undertaking. We got through the first few blocks, and then stalled. And eventually I picked it up again, and got through a few more blocks. At one point I'm pretty sure that I finished all of the blocks. I then sewed them all together. In one "cleaning out my sewing table" episode, I cut the borders. And there they sat. Probably for a year. Last night I sewed the borders on. This is going to be a big undertaking to quilt it too, but I hope to do that in the next month. It will of course depend on Jana's schedule, because I could not do this with out her mega quilter.

Speaking of Jana. I'm headed to her house in a bit, and hope to make progress on my watermelon place mats UFO. I bought that kit like 3 1/2 years ago as well. At this point all that needs to be done is the hand sewing of the binding. Hooray!

Next up, my birthday place mats. I have 4 done (excluding binding) and 4 more to go. One will be the special "birthday person" place mat, with a cupcake on it, but I still have to figure out the design for the other 3.

After that I'm going to have to go through my work space and see if there is more to be found. If not, I have an idea for a scrap quilt. I need to go through the huge bag of scraps that I have and decide which ones were stupid to keep, and organize them and cut them for my needs. If I get ambitious enough I may even use up all of my scraps. Because I'd rather move a quilt than a basket full of scraps. And of course all of this is brought to you by packing denial. But hey, we don't even have a closing date, and are not 100% sure what house we are going to buy. I just know that I have 3 1/2 months left on our current lease, and we have to be out by then. That gives me plenty of time to quilt instead of pack!

No comments: