Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Memorial Quilt

So, as you can guess from the name of the blog, I like to sew. Most specifically, I like to quilt. It is one of my favorite things to do, and I really wish that I could make a living by doing it. Unfortunately, people are not all that willing to pay what a quilt would be worth.
So in my quilting group, we started to make quilts for everyone who is having a baby. It started a year ago, when Debbie had her baby. That one was a surprise. She didn't know we were doing it. Since then most of the rest of us have had babies (all of us in the quilting group) and we have made quilts for each one.
So about 2 months ago tragedy hit our little play group. Our friend Rebecca delivered a still born at 37 weeks. We had already started a quilt for her, and we didn't know quite what to do with it. We didn't know if she would want to have the reminder or if it would be like a slap in the face: here is a quilt for the baby you will not have. But we thought about her and how she was handeling things, and we decided that she would like to have the quilt. So we finished it, and today we were able to give it to her.
When she hugged me when we gave her the quilt, I don't remember a time when I have been hugged so tightly. I'm just really glad that we gave her this quilt. I think that it is something nice to help her remember how much she loved this little girl that she was never able to have. I feel like I was able to do something extra nice for a friend today, and that made it a really good day. It was sad, yes, but at the same time, it was a moment that I am glad happened.

3 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Well, hello there little lady! How the heck are ya? So fun that you have a blog. Do you have a private one with pictures at all? I would love to see your little ones.

The Long Family said...

What a beautiful sentiment! That was really great of you guys to do that for your friend!

Nicole said...

Hi! Exciting to see your growing family! I really like your blog...I don't think you guys are boring :) We have a little guy the same age as your newest addition. Congratulations!