Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Grocery Shopping

ok, so let me start by saying that i'm pretty sure that there is someone upstairs robbing me of house and home right now. That being said, if I never post a blog again, come looking for me.
So I had a doctor appt today, and of course, nothing is happening. However, I do feel that my due date is in like 12 days or something, and at my next appt I am going to be asked to be induced on my due date. My friend Dessi will like that because it is her birthday, and Nate was born on her husband's birthday. So we'll see. I sure hope I don't go 12 more days, but with my luck, I will.
So while I was at the doctor, Colleen brought Phoebe over and watched Nate for me. When we got back, we decided that we both needed to go to the grocery store, and that it may be fun to go together. We could get one of those car carts and put Phoebe and Nate in the front together and they would have a grand time!
So we get to the store and we find a cart. It was a police car cart. We put P and N in the front, and buckled them in, and we head into the store. So we'd gotten like 15 feet and we hear P say, I wanna get out. So we're thinking, well, that certainly didn't last long. So take 5 min to try to convince P that she needed to stay in the cart. Do you want juice? do you want a pretzel? If you're good you can have chocolate milk when we're done.... etc. So on we go, off to produce, get the bananas, go over to the potatoes, oh, I needed apples, they are way back there, on and on. In the mean time, both children are trying to get out of the cart. Do you want fish? Do you want fruit snacks? I want Nate's kind of fruit snack.... etc. So we finally get out of the produce aisle, and now Colleen has to pick out a turkey. It's a tough decision. You know, it's the day before Thanksgiving, so it can't be frozen, and it needs to be kind of small... you get the point. So while I so kindly leave Colleen there with the cart, and kids that are trying to get out, I go gathering some of the things I need in the surrounding aisles. Each time I come back P is crying about N. So I come to see that Nate has decided he wants to get comfy, so he has his feet hanging out of the side of the car, and is reclining onto Phoebe. For some reason she did not find that appealing.
Finally we're on our way again, and N is still leaning on P, so I take him out of the cart, and I am now carrying him screaming and kicking down the aisle. It was grand fun. I finally give in, and he gets back in the car. I tell him to be good, and that lasts all of like 30 seconds.
Off to the bread aisle. Then we decide that Colleen needs apples as well. So back to produce. While in the produce aisle, P wiggles her way out of the seat belt and is so proud of herself when she gets out of the car. So now P is running all over the produce dept, and I'm totally 8 1/2 months pregnant, so not much help in running after her. Finally, we decide that the smartest thing would be to have me man the cart, and Colleen man P. (Notice the word Finally, yeah, it took us a while to catch on.) So now I'm pushing the cart, and Colleen is off trying to contain P. We finally meet up in the frozen vegetable aisle. At this point P is running all over the place, so I start a game, she has to stay in between her mom and me. So this works for a little while, until we are moving, and all of the sudden we go by a side aisle. Well, technically she was in the rules, but at that point we decided that we had ground enough raisins into the ground, and left a trail of goldfish so everyone knew it was us, and maybe it was time to check out. So we get checked out, and Phoebe now decides that she wants to get back into the car, and Nate wants to get out. So we have some screaming kids as we walk out of the grocery store. It was probably the most chaotic shopping trip I have ever been on. But we made it out alive, and the only casualty was the lemons that C bought that got put into my bag. And of course the whole time dear, sweet Pete sat there like a perfect little angel.
Now the cherry on the top is how I looked. I never did my hair today, so it is all over the place. I'm wearing these yoga pants, and have no make up on. And today I really needed make up. To top it all off, I have totally leaked a little milk, and have a tiny stain on my shirt. I was top form.
So there you have the saga of our "fun trip to the grocery store." Needless to say, we probably will not attempt this again. The best part though, is that I saw someone else doing the same thing we were doing. They were there with one cart, and about 7,000 kids, and it was total chaos for them too. It was reassuring to know we were not alone.
Well, I have neglected my child for long enough. Plus, we probably have nothing left upstairs from the robber. And I have to go start dinner. So it's not much, but you get what you pay for.

No comments: