Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Sick Fmaily

Well, on Sunday Nate woke up with a cold. I heard him sneezing in the middle of the night, and when he got up he had a runny nose. So he was finally starting to get better yesterday. I was glad that it seemed to be a short run. The poor little boy has a terribly chapped upper lip which started to bleed, and I can't get him to let me put stuff on it. But I was happy that he seemed to be drying up lately.
However, last night I put Graham down for bed, and within a few minutes I hear this choking cough coming from his room. It really sounded like he was choking on something. So I go in, and rock him back to sleep, and within 5 minutes of putting him down again, I hear the same noise. He ate again, and went back to sleep, more coughing. Anyway, what it comes down to is that anytime he was lying on a flat surface, even if he was on his side, he would start to cough. So it was one of those nights when I had to sleep with him in my arms in bed with me. He would every once in a while start to cough or cry while he was sleeping, but I usually was able to get him to go back to sleep by patting or rubbing his back.
Anyway, I just feel so sorry for my tiny boy to be sick so soon in life. Nate didn't get his first cold until he was like 9 months old. Here poor Graham is only 2 weeks old and he is sick. He is sleeping now in his bouncy seat, and he may have to sleep in that tonight. It elevates his head, so I think that helps.
Anyway, I do feel a bit guilty about him being sick, because it happened after I had taken him out yesterday. Of course, he stayed in his carseat the whole time, and no one really looked at him or touched him. There were a few kids who got close while we were at a play date, but no one actually touched him. And it usually takes a day or two after being exposed to something for the symptoms to show up, and it makes much more sense that he would have gotten this from his brother who he is around all day. But all the same, I feel a little guilty.
Anyway, I hope that he gets better soon. It is no fun to have a sick infant. Plus, it's a little scary. I have felt just a bit sick, so hopefully I am passing some antibodies to him when he eats.
So that's it. We are watching the Great Muppet Caper. Nate is calling them muffins, and sometimes cake. So that's it. I need to go distract my child from the pantry until lunch time. Another half an hour. So that's it. It's a little germy, but you get what you pay for.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I'm sorry to hear the little guy's sick. It makes you so sad to hear them sniffling, coughing, etc. So how does the two kid thing compare to what you expected it to be thus far?