Monday, December 10, 2007

The newest member of my team

Well, it finally happened. I guess I always knew that it would eventually, but for a while there, I was also pretty sure that it would never happen. I finally had my baby. Graham was born last week, at a hefty 8 lbs 12 oz. If this were not a public site, I would post photos, but well, it is. So if you know me, you can email me and ask for the web address to find photos on.
So I was supposed to be induced, and I was told to call at 6am to see if I could come in. So I call at 6. They say call back at 7:30. So I call at 7:30 and they say call at 9. So I call at 9 and they say, don't call us, we'll call you. So it gets to be like 11:30 and I'm wondering if I can eat lunch, so I call and they actually said I could eat and come on in. So that made me happy. So I get there, and as I am waiting for all of the tubes to be hooked up, and the doctor I'm having contractions. So the nurse sees this, and talks to the doctor, and they just start me on pitocin right away. So I figured that was a good sign. The anesthesiologist was not available, so the nurse asked if I wanted a narcotic in the mean time. For future notice: if a nurse asks if you want a narcotic, the answer is always yes. It was quite an experience. I don't know that I would want to just experience that anytime, so I don't think I'll become a druggie, but it sure took my mind off of the labor pains.
So That was at like 3pm, and then at 5:30 or 6 I finally got my epidural. It was totally different from when I had Nate. I had the epidural for a bit longer, and well, I felt nothing. I couldn't even move my legs on my own. This time I didn't feel the pain of the contractions, but I did feel the pressure of the baby descending, and I felt my legs, they were annoyingly tingly, but I delt with it. Anyway. At like 8:30 after an hour of agony wanting to push but not being allowed to, I finally had Graham after pushing for only 11 minutes. Not too bad in my book. This being induced thing keeps on getting better and better.
So now I have a baby. I'm feeling pretty good these days. Today we made our first venture out into the world to Wal Mart and the Grocery store. I am still feeling the effects. It was maybe a bit too much.
So Graham is like the best baby in the world. He is still a sleepy little fellow, even at night. He wakes up for a few hours a few times each day, and is pretty content to either sit in his bouncy seat or sit on someones lap. He rarely spits up, and in general doesn't cry too much. He is even getting used to having his diaper changed. Nate is doing well with him, but daddy is still home from work, so it will be a different story when it is just mommy.
So there you have it, a rare look into my real life, you know, the one that is not just meaningless babel. It's pretty great right now, so I guess now I'm getting more than I paid for. (Of course, the doctor's bills have not come yet...)

3 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats mama! He's adorable :)

Sgt Malarkey said...

He's a great baby and I love him!

Ryan 'n' Joy said...

hmm... an hour of pushing seemed like nothing to me - but this was my first. I was asleep right up to the time I was ready to push so that made it nice. That is funny that we brought our babies home in the same outfit. That was not the original outfit we intended on taking Ari home in however he only fits in premie so Ryan had to run out and get something since the newborn outfit we brought was not going to fit him. We had our first outing sooner then you guys - I left the hospital and went straight to Target to get my baby some premie clothes and get my perscriptions filled...