Thursday, December 20, 2007

While Mommy Sleeps

Ok, so here is a first for us. Nate has always been a very un-curious boy. I have never been worried about him getting into anything particularly dangerous or naughty. However today, he changed all of that. By about 4:00 I was about done with my day. Due to the sick night that we had, I couldn't keep my eyes open come 4. I was fine during nap time, so I watched Hairspray (and it made me wish once again that I was some fabulous singer and dancer so that I could be in movies like that. They just look like they have so much fun.) Anyway, I had no nap today. So Nate got up from his nap, and I decided to be good and have a no TV afternoon, so we were playing for a while, and then as mentioned, I couldn't keep my eyes open. So I must have actually dozed off for a while, I kept on hearing Nate taking toys out of the box of baby toys, and taking them somewhere, but it didn't occur to me until too late what he was doing. I heard him in the hall bathroom. So I go in in a panic, and all of the toys are all over the floor and they are wet. He cannot turn on the faucet.
So he had an immediate time out all the way upstairs in his bed. At that point I could not fathom how to recover from something like this. Would I be ok ever using these toys again? Keep in mind that these are like, teething toys, and toys that will be chewed on, just based on the age they are intended for. Some of them were hard, and some of them were plush. So I just shut the bathroom door for a minute, and got a child door handle thing to put on the bathroom door. As further punishment after time out, Nate had to have the boogers cleaned out of his nose.
So I have soaked everything in a strong bleach solution, and rinsed it off. What do you think? Do they need to be thrown out. I don't know if they were actually dunked in the toilet, or if Nate just splashed water out. I have a feeling that some were actually in the water. It will be months before Graham is big enough to play with them. Is there a statute of limitations for how long they will remain gross? As I write this, and think about it, I am totally grossed out. I think I may just have to throw out the toys. So I want serious opinions. Should I be locked up just for thinking about keeping these toys? This is my grossest post yet, but you get what you pay for.

2 comments:

jlk said...

I have a boy who regularly plays in the toilet and dog dish, no matter what I do to prevent it. Someone always leaves the door open and lid up and there you go. I haven't thrown him away, yet. If you can wash the toys in the washing machine, do it. If not, chuck them. As for hard toys, a bleach solution should do the trick. No worries. But, if it grosses you out, chuck them. They'll never get played with.

Janice said...

Why don't you just bring them home and we'll steam them. That kills germs without chemicals and they will be good as new!